Blogs > Rutgers Rundown

Devoted to the daily goings on with Rutgers football, both at High Point Solutions Stadium and behind the scenes.

Monday, April 28, 2014

Rutgers' Janarion Grant progress, need for refinement show in Scarlet-White Game

(AP photo)
By Tyler Barto
Twitter: @Tyler_Barto
tbarto@trentonian.com

A few scattered plays Saturday during Rutgers' Scarlet-White Game defined the education of Janarion Grant.

A 30-yard slant in which he beat a defender inside. Quick-twitch separation at the line of scrimmage. Misreads of the ball in the air. 

Grant finished with three receptions for 45 yards, showing both the promise and learning curve that trail him.

"When I first got here I really was trying to prove to everybody and show them what I can do," Grant said. "I just kept dropping balls. They were saying I couldn't catch, but once I got comfortable in my spot I started catching more and I started getting better."

Head coach Kyle Flood said Grant's route tree is similar to the 2011 package ran by Mohamed Sanu, who set a conference record with 115 catches.

Grant, at 5-foot-11, 170 pounds, doesn't stack up physically with Sanu. But his separation ability with quick moves at the snap could open up the middle of the field.


Picture this, for example: tight end Tyler Kroft driving up the seam, bringing a linebacker with him, as Grant clears underneath, picking the "alley" defender.

"I think if we can get the ball to him in space, what you have is a guy who can make anybody miss on the field," Flood said. "He's a one-step, change-of-direction guy."

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home