Blogs > Rutgers Rundown

Devoted to the daily goings on with Rutgers football, both at High Point Solutions Stadium and behind the scenes.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Quotable: Rutgers' Kyle Flood, new coordinators address media for first time

Ralph Friedgen, left, shown Dec. 30 with Duke's David Cutliffe, will become Rutgers' next offensive coordinator. (AP file photo)

By Tyler Barto
Twitter: @Tyler_Barto
tbarto@trentonian.com

Head coach Kyle Flood, new coordinators Ralph Friedgen and Joe Rossi and special teams and linebackers coach Bob Fraser spoke for the first time together Tuesday on a conference call.

We'll have a story for print posted here, but below are some highlights:

FLOOD
On getting in the door with Friedgen: "I certainly knew coach Friedgen. I don't necessarily know he knew me. As a young coach in the profession, you're certainly aware what the top offensive minds are doing and you're always studying them. I remember being at the University of Delaware in 2002 and stealing his double screen back then and using it at Delaware. It was really more just me reaching out to him to gauge his interest. When you talk to somebody who's done what Ralph Friedgen has done in this profession, it's not an interview process. It's really just a matter of seeing if he's interested in the job."

FRIEDGEN
On offensive philosophy: "The first thing I want to evaluate is what our players do best. I've run a lot of different offenses, from option to pro, one back, two back. I don't believe in trying to do something the kids can't do. ... I do believe in having a balance between run and pass. Not so much to be equally divided but to have the ability to throw the ball just as well as you run the ball."

ROSSI
On differences with last year's 73rd-ranked total defense: "Defensively last year, we were very similar to defenses that had come before. One of the biggest differences was difference in people and the difference in experience level of a majority of those players that were on the field. Not much really changed from that defense, but I think at times maybe the execution wasn't where we would like it."

FRASER
On Rutgers' emotional appeal as previous assistant: "I have a love for Rutgers ever since I've been here. When you leave somewhere, I lived and died almost every (Rutgers) play the last two years. My kids lived and died every play the last two years. If I was on a bus going to a game or at the airport, my kids would call and text me and tell me everything that went on."

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home