Blogs > Rutgers Rundown

Devoted to the daily goings on with Rutgers football, both at High Point Solutions Stadium and behind the scenes.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Despite losing recruiter Ron Prince, Rutgers' Logan Lister hope place remains for tight end

By Tyler Barto
Twitter: @Tyler_Barto
tbarto@trentonian.com

PISCATAWAY — Logan Lister calls Texas "everybody territory", but until his commitment any idea of a recruiting footprint for Rutgers in the Lone Star State was foreign.

That changed with former offensive coordinator Ron Prince, who used previous Big 12 affiliation and Rutgers' Big Ten ties to sway Lister, an offensive-tackle-turned-tight end.

Prince left to coach tight ends with the Detroit Lions on Jan. 18, but the Scarlet Knights' conference ties were enough to soothe Lister.

“It doesn’t concern me at all," Lister said Monday of Prince's departure. "As long as they still use the tight end and don’t switch to a spread, then I’m fine.

[EDITOR'S NOTE: Rutgers is reportedly close to hiring former Maryland head coach Ralph Friedgen, who has typically run a pro-style offense.]

“I hope they branch out into Texas more now that they’re in the Big Ten. I think a lot more people would be attracted to it now.”

Under Prince, Rutgers' usage of the tight end in passing game ballooned. Sophomore Tyler Kroft led the team with 43 catches and 573 yards and finished tied for second with four touchdowns.

“I watched Tyler a lot on TV," said Lister, a Rivals.com three-star prospect . "I liked how they used him a lot. They were able to throw passes to him in the back of the end zone. That’s what I was looking for in a program.”

More early enrollee coverage: Kam Lott, Eric Wiafe

MORE FROM LISTER

On body molding from high school offensive line to college tight end:  "I put on 10-15 pounds playing offensive line. I shed a lot of it lately. I’m back down to 250. I don’t think I’ll have to shed much more weight.

“When I went from tight end to o-line, I wasn’t running as much, I put on more weight. Maybe it wasn’t good weight, but I was still putting it on. I wasn’t fat or anything like that. I got up 265, closer to 270. And then after the season ended, I was running a little bit more and I shed it. Ever since I got here, I shed a lot of it. It’s all about what you put into your body.”

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home