Blogs > Rutgers Rundown

Devoted to the daily goings on with Rutgers football, both at High Point Solutions Stadium and behind the scenes.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Rutgers' Isaac Holmes talks wrist, front four, Dave Cohen and more

By Tyler Barto
Twitter: Tyler_Barto
tbarto@trentonian.com

PISCATAWAY — Fifth-year senior Isaac Holmes was available to the media today for the first time since the end of spring practice. 

The nose tackle talks about the state of Rutgers' d-line in our Trentonian story for Wednesday here, but here's what Holmes said that didn't make the cut:


Fifth-year senior defensive tackle Isaac Holmes said he had
a second corrective surgery on his wrist. (AP Photo)
On second procedure on wrist: “They had to do a second because some things didn’t heal correctly the first time. It wasn’t anything serious, just to basically clean something out. I was really back into things in like a week.”

On projected front four: "Darius (Hamilton) has a full season already, and I think he’s learned a lot. I have Jamil Merrell on the end, and I like him a lot. He’s a high-motor guy. He really is that spark to the defense. We also have Marcus Thompson on the other side, and that’s a freak of nature right there. I think Marcus runs a 4.3 at 260. That’s a big man moving right there.”

On absence of several longtime starters on defense: “I wouldn’t say there isn’t anything to prove. The Rutgers defense is always going to be the Rutgers defense. Defensively, the d-line should really lead that group. If we do what we have to do up front, I think everything else will fall into place in the back end.”

On new defensive coordinator Dave Cohen: “Coach Cohen, he’s more of a hype guy. He likes to get in your face. He likes to get the defense up. He likes us to be excited when we’re out there playing. It’s almost the same as Robb. Robb had that passion for it. I think the defense is really still the same. We didn’t change anything scheme-wise. We’re still us.”

On perspective of 2012 season-ending wrist injury: “There’s been a little bit of frustration when you put in so much work and you see things start to pay off. But in the blink of an eye it’s all taken away. I never really let that get me down … because I knew I’d get that chance again.”

On Merrell's return to end: “It’s a big help. He was really good at three-tech, but having him at end now gives us that strength on the edge. I really liked how things looked in the spring.”

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home