Blogs > Rutgers Rundown

Devoted to the daily goings on with Rutgers football, both at High Point Solutions Stadium and behind the scenes.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater on Rutgers, the American and more

Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater on Nov. 29 in a BCS-clinching victory at Rutgers. (AP Photo)

By Tyler Barto
Twitter: Tyler_Barto
tbarto@trentonian.com

On the heels of a Sugar Bowl victory and preseason Heisman talks, Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater held court Tuesday at the American media day in Newport, R.I.

The junior took up an entire room at Hotel Viking by himself because of media requests.

Fresh off a visit to ESPN's Bristol, Conn., headquarters, here's a snapshot of what Bridgewater talked about:

On not playing until the second quarter Nov. 29 at Rutgers because of severe injuries"I pretty much learned who I really am spiritually. I was in doubt, and I had a lot of doubt in my mind. I just felt that everything happens for a reason, and I found that out."


Teddy Bridgewater at the American Media Day. (Tyler Barto)
On committing to Louisville, not native Miami"Pretty much because Jacory Harris was the quarterback [at Miami (Fla.)]. And everyone just felt I would be following his shadow, following his footsteps. That's something I didn't want. I wanted to make a name for myself instead of being Jacory Harris' successor."

On decision to leave Miami"Everyone wanted me to get out of Miami. My mom, it was tough for her to see her last child leave her. As far as friends and family, they wanted me to go somewhere else and make a name for myself."

On preparing for about 30 different opponents in three years because of conference shifting: "It's not weird at all. It's football. Just like this year, I'll have to game plan for four different opponents, maybe five. That's just a part of the game, and you just have to be ready to adjust."

On perceived bias against the American "There is a lot of respect. Respect is something earned. If we go out handle what we have to handle, respect will come."

On making a name for the American in only one year: "You want to contribute as much as you can while you're here. We're still going to go out and play every game to our full potential."

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home